Wind is Always a Factor


It looked like the weather was going to be somewhat favorable this past Saturday, at least earlier in the week when we started discussing taking a ride down to Pointe Aux Chenes. Since our last trip to the area wasn’t very productive in caught fish, I was curious to see if the fish were active again with the weather warming up. However, there was a front that passed through on Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately, it did affect the bite.

Karl and I planned to bring along Mark this time. Mark’s been in the kayaks with Andrew and I before, but has never caught anything in a kayak. His only experiences fishing have been catfishing with his grandpa. We definitely wanted to get him on a sleigh ride.

We knew there would be wind. 10-15mph winds were predicted, but it’s always worse. Also, it was predicted to be partly cloudy, but that was proven in accurate as well.

At the launch, it seemed things wouldn’t be so rough. There was a bit of wind, but nothing to fuss about, and the only clouds in the sky were way off in the distance. The water was pretty high, and according to, we were seeing low tide.IMG_3261Before getting on the water, Karl stopped at PAC Marina to grab some fresh shrimp. Across the bayou from the launch, there were wild horses hanging out. That was pretty cool to see.

As soon as we cleared the trees after launching, the wind became a factor. A stiff north wind. It was probably around 10mph. We started off all together, but soon we split up, as usual. Mark went along with Karl, and I headed for some shallow areas that had produced for me in the past. The wind was giving us quite a workout.

The water was pretty clear when it was protected from the wind, but I wasn’t seeing any reds in those areas. There would be topwater hits every so often, and swirls here and there, but not quite what we were hoping for. More often than anything, I’d see kicked up mud trails right under the kayak where a fish had spooked. By this point, the clouds had arrived full force and the wind was around 15mph. The best way to work with this situation, for me, was to anchor against the wind-blown bank, and use a spinning rig with a heavier jig head than normal. My “Lure A” was “chicken on a chain” Saltwater Assassin. “Lure B” was a black/chart Vortex Shad.

I was fan-casting an area where I had seen a swirl and was starting to lose interest in the spot. I was standing and scanning the marsh looking for Karl or Mark. Then I felt a bite, and after a short fight, had a 19″ red.IMG_3263


I decided to hold onto him. Mark’s a little younger than Karl and I, and lives at home. His family had plans for the day and he decided to come with us. So I figured that if he didn’t catch anything, I’d give his parents my red. And unfortunately, this guy did turn out to be the only red for any of us.

After a little more searching, I called Karl to find out where they were and soon went to go meet up with them. They were hanging out fishing on the bottom with their shrimp catching catfish. But soon after, we headed back to the launch, having to paddle into the stiff north wind. We took a picture of Mark with my red since after 3 or 4 trips, he still hadn’t caught one. There’s always next time. IMG_3264

Though conditions weren’t the best, that’s fishing. It’s what keeps us coming back. Skunk days and over-the-limit days, that’s fishing. You never know if the day will hold disappointment or satisfaction. But in any case, being on the water is one of my favorite places to be, and I can’t wait till I get to do this with my son.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: